Saturday 13 June 2015

Ireland

An idyllic country scene close to my home



On May 13, I arrived in Dublin by air from Toronto. I rented a car and headed for the beautiful city of Birr in the middle of the country. I stayed with my brother and sister-in-law in their very old and beautiful townhouse, three floors of elegance and style. A young nephew was also kind enough to accompany me to Birr and the four of us had a good time together, walking, reminiscing and relaxing.

Two days later I drove to Co. Wexford, where I was born, and stayed with a beautiful cousin and her family. From there I was able to visit with many more relatives and catch up with their stories. The weather was unusually kind to me and we enjoyed lots of sunshine and very little rain.

I had a chance to review some family history documents and gather some information that was new to me. For a long time now I have been gathering information about our family history.


During my visit I was struck anew by the heart-aching beauty of Ireland, the fascination of its complex human history and the natural friendliness of its people. I feel very lucky to have been born in such a wholesome, safe and healthy environment. I give thanks frequently for the loving care of my parents.


I returned to Victoria on May 28. Summer appears to be well under way! Hooray!

1 comment:

  1. A lovely holiday. Once day you need to show me around Ireland.

    ReplyDelete