Sunday 27 March 2016

Triumph!

Yesterday, the impossible became possible. With help from my incredibly supportive team, I had a fabulous run in the world's most beautiful ultramarathon, the Two Oceans Ultra, from Cape Town south to the Indian Ocean, across the Cape peninsula and along the stunning Chapman's Peak road carved out of a cliff high above the Atlantic Ocean, then back high over Constantia Nek and through a fragrant forest back into Cape Town. The course is scenically stunning and good fortune provided us with an unusually cool day, with early rain, winds gusting to 55 kilometres an hour to cool us further, tremendous enthusiastic crowds to urge us on and an atmosphere of plentiful hope and courage. 

We had all spent months preparing for the rigours of a long distance race and on the day we had no trouble completing the challenge. My wildest dream had been to complete the 56 kilometres in just under 6 hours in order to win a bronze medal. As we came in together, we couldn't believe the clock with our gun time of 5:44:44. We know that if you apply yourself to the training, the event becomes possible. There is only one way to prepare, by doing the necessary work. Shortcuts for athletes inevitably lead to disaster. However, this particular feat is especially important, coming at a time of struggle and angst in my life. The race is balm to my soul.

And now we have time and inclination to celebrate. Tomorrow we head out along the world famous Garden Route, lush, forested, full of gorgeous beaches and friendly villages. Thence my sister and I head for Kruger Park and some serious game viewing, followed by a few magical days in the tropical paradise of Mozambique's east coast. 


Because I am travelling, I have not been able keep up with the thank yous to those beautiful people who have contributed so generously to my fund raising but I will catch up as soon as I reach home. You have all warmed my heart and will warm the hearts of others.
Soon enough, I will return to the reality of cancer treatment. This has been medicine for the soul of a different but very effective sort. Peace and love from the Mother City.

1 comment:

  1. Louise relayed the fantastic news yesterday, Nigel. I am so happy for you. I know you'll enjoy the wildlife and scenery. Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete