Tuesday 10 June 2014

Unbridled joy!

It's interesting how shifts in information can be as life changing as tectonic shifts! This is a special morning for me.

I got a call from Lion's Gate Hospital today. I have been working hard with them for months to get access to PD1 treatment, a novel approach to tailoring the immune system to attack solid tumours. Several companies are coming up with drugs all at the same time. While I have been working steadily to get access to the Merck version of PD1, since it was the first to expand access into Canada, BMS has just opened up its Canadian Expanded Access Program for its version of PD1 and it looks like the road to it is much shorter so I will take that road. Next week I will meet Dr. Sasha again, a personal hero for me since my first ipilimumab treatment in the fall of 2012, and put all of the paperwork in place to begin treatment. I am over the moon!

In summary then, it is most likely that I will begin treatment with nivolumab very soon. If not, I continue the work to get access to pendrolizumab. Should one treatment fail, I dream of just moving to the next. People with ocular melanoma have not had options in the past. A swift end was inevitable. This is the dawn of a new era of hope. The decades long wait for progress is over. Down with tumours! Down with ocular melanoma! Down with all melanoma! Down with all cancer! 

Oops, we must remember to stay calm!  Ooooooohhhhhhmmmmm, shanti.    It is not like me to be chanting slogans and raising banners in the streets!  Peace and love to all, Nigel

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic news, Nigel! I'm raising a glass of bubbly to you (oh, it's only 8:44am - It'll have to be a cup of coffee for now). Yeehaw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news, Nigel! All best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful news, Nigel ... and you're such an inspiration to me whenever I'm tempted to complain about aches and pains of ageing. with a bow of affections .... daishin

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy for you! You continue to inspire me!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful to hear that the light at the end of the tunnel, which once seemed so distant and small, is now enveloping you with hope. I believe it is your birthday tomorrow. Happy, happy my cuz.

    ReplyDelete