Wednesday 29 October 2014

Well

Well, well, well. That is how I am.

Very late last night, I reached home. On Monday, I met Dr. Sato, the foremost authority on ocular melanoma, at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia. I met him for the first time a year ago in person but he has been helping me regularly with advice for two years now.

He assured me that I seem to have ended up in the best possible situation for a person with this dreadful disease. I have twice undergone immunotherapy with ipilimumab and have had radiation to several aggressive tumours. Together, these treatments have got me to a sweet spot where my immune system seems to be able to keep the cancer in check. For several months now, there has been very little change. Dr. Sato has growing confidence that this will be an extended period of wellness and I need to get on with my life. Very few people get to this extraordinary moment. There is no way of knowing how long this balance can be sustained. Scanning will continue at regular intervals.

And so, here I am in an unexpected and novel place. I do not need further treatment at the moment. My body is strong and my mind is catching up! It will be an enormous but exciting challenge to live each day as if it is the last, but with lots of confidence that tomorrow will come!

Thank you to all who have walked this path with me.  It has never been lonely. Peace and love, Nigel



1 comment:

  1. Nigel, this is the most wonderful news. I am so happy for you. Sys, L

    ReplyDelete