Thursday 5 March 2015

Ho Chi Minh

Strange to recount, but one can still see Ho Chi Minh in person. This is all the more interesting since he is now 125 years old. He rests in a very austere mausoleum and thousands of people line up every day to walk silently around him. The crowds are extremely well organized and the human chain moves inexorably forward so it does not take as long as one might fear. All bags are taken and stored and electronic equipment is taken separately and stored separately. Happily, no one takes photos! Complete silence falls on the lines of people long before they enter the mausoleum. I was firmly and silently instructed by a crisply white-uniformed honourguard to walk with my arms straight down by my sides as I am in the habit of walking with them behind me.

The Father of the Nation just looks like he is asleep. His face is fatter and generally bigger than I remember from pictures. There are very few monuments like this. It is a strange place indeed.

When I was at university I decided to grow a beard as it was fashionable at the time amongst students. Mine grew strongly only on my chin and my father used to tease me by calling me Ho Chi Minh. Ho Chi Minh is still wearing his beard but I'm not wearing mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment