Thursday 5 March 2015

The River

Some of my happiest moments in Luang Prabang were spent on the banks of the Mekong, watching as boats came and went, the sun rose and set and people went about their daily business.  Rivers provide an easy way to move about when roads are inadequate or don't exist. This leads to a different pattern of living, with villages strung out along the banks.

One day,  a long transport boat came across the river and suddenly there was a whirlwind of activity as people unloaded their goods. I could hear some very loud screaming so I watched until I could see two pigs being unloaded. They had a string tied to one back leg and the 'driver' had a little stick to guide the pig with. The pigs were not being very cooperative, especially the larger one. It kept sitting down and then would need to be tapped with the stick to get it to move again. It came to a wall and lay down alongside it. Even with prodding it remained on strike! The owner eventually picked it up in frustration and carried it over the wall! I wondered where they were going. Were they going to or coming from the market? I didn't dare think too much about their future. One never should!
to or coming from the market? I didn't dare to think too much about the future. One never should!



No comments:

Post a Comment