Tuesday 21 August 2018

Courage



The solo traveller must be able to draw unexpectedly on reserves of courage. Plans can easily go awry, especially when very far from home, as I am now. I have been exploring Kigali, capital of Rwanda, for several days now. Time is limited so I need to fit more in. Gisenyi, on the shores of Lake Kivu, has been beckoning. It takes maybe five hours on a public bus to get there. Yesterday, I was up early and ready to head out to purchase my bus ticket for today when suddenly all planning was interrupted by a sharp pain in my mid back. It came out of nowhere and with no warning. I was unable to stand and had to just lie down. 

After a few hours, with many negative thoughts trying to invade my general happiness, I felt I could stand and perhaps walk. I limped outside and headed for the bus station. After a few minutes it was obvious that walking was not a good option so I hailed a moto-taxi (see public transit post) and reached Nyabugogo Bus Station quickly. The press of humanity was overwhelming. People, buses, noise, heat everywhere. I made an attempt to get a measure of the lay of the land and then pain forced me to beat a premature retreat, ticketless of course. Not enough courage in my account!

After a surprisingly good sleep overnight, and a very kind post breakfast massage with camphor ointment from the lovely young lady who is taking care of me here, this morning was a different story. I am now able to walk slowly and I got lots of help from friendly people on the way to and at the bus station so I am now in possession of a bus ticket for the morrow, leaving Kigali at 10.30 am. The journey will take around five hours, I think. I am imagining myself having a mountain bike adventure on the Congo Nil Trail on Thursday. May all the stars align.

The crowds thicken as the bus station is near

No comments:

Post a Comment